I have done many stay at home jobs over the years. I have sold on ebay, have done VA work, and even did customer service for companies by phone for a while, but nothing has given me the joy blogging has! I have truly found what I am passionate about and a way to earn money from home! I LOVE blogging! I truly love getting up everyday to do my job and found that I have truly found my sweet spot!
I know I have many mom readers who are interested in blogging and feel overwhelmed in trying to start one up so I wanted to give you a post that includes simple steps how to get started.
10 Easy Steps to Start Your Own Blog:
1 – Find Your Passion! You have to write in order to blog and you don’t want to have a topic that you are not passionate about! If you do, you will burn out quick and the content just won’t come! What is it that you love to talk about? What do your friends say you are good at or what do they ask your advice for? These are great ways to find out what you are meant to write about.
2 – Pick your domain name! This is not always as easy as it sounds. You may have several ideas in your head but once you check them out, you will find they are taken so it may take a little while to find the perfect name. Write down many ideas and check to see if they are available. You can buy a domain at very little cost and once you have the perfect one that is available you will be set!
3. Set up on WordPress. There are other blogging platforms other than WordPress but to me it’s the best and really the only one I know about! It is the perfect choice if you want to earn money with your blogging. Just make sure you go with WordPress.org, the self hosted one! They have a WordPress.com and it is free but you are limited with it so do your research to see what is the best fit for you!
4. Pick your hosting! I have two sites and have been with HostGator for all the years of my blogging career! It is so important for your blog to have great hosting and I have that with HostGator! Anytime I have had a problem with my site they have helped me fix it quickly and their support has been amazing!
I love that they have:
- 24/7 live support via chat, phone, and email – you’re not alone. We’re here to help. They have always been there when I needed them.
- One click WordPress installs – no messy downloading and uploading of files.
- One click and start easy to use website builder – drag and drop tools that make building a site super simple.
- Design services – don’t want to build your site? Let their pros do it for you.
- Marketing services (SEO and PPC) – want to generate traffic? Their in house experts want to help.
- Domains – HostGator is your one-stop-shop for domains!
6 – Design Your Blog – You can get some free basic themes from WordPress or buy a theme to get you started. There are some really reasonable ones out there that look really nice. If you have the money you can also hire a designer who can make your online space look beautiful!
8. Make an Editorial Calendar – The best way to stay consistent is to have an editorial calendar. There are planners, plugins, and other organizational tools you can use but at the beginning I suggest you just write down at least a month of ideas down on paper and then schedule them on your calendar. It helps you make it happen!
9. Work Hard – Blogging is hard work. To many, it may look easy. I will tell you it is not! It is not a get rich quick career but it can be rewarding and you can do well if you put a lot of effort into it! It can also be lots of fun but make sure you know for sure before starting you are going to work hard at it!
10. Educate Yourself – Always be educating yourself because blogging changes all the time. Read great books on blogging and business, listen to podcasts, take classes, and attend conferences. You will learn so much and it will help you get so much better in all you do!
You can sign up with HostGator for 30% off web hosting services here!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.