We recently received See the Light art program to review. I was very impressed with this art program. I loved the video. I have always believed that smaller time frames of teaching a child a subject is more effective then long teachings and these lesson times are short, around 15 minutes. She presents the concept and the kids have plenty of time to practice. She has a wonderful teaching voice and keeps the kids attention. The video is great and does all the teaching so if your like me and NO good at art you still feel the kids have a shot in learning something about art, LOL I also love that you don’t have to have expensive art supplies, she really wants you to buy things that are affordable and most of the things you have at home. My daughter is really excited about the program. I also love that she applies bible stories, and art about God(the creator of art after all)
See the Light also has created Bible Story DVDs, each containing a Bible story told through art, and three art lessons — a creative lettering lesson, a chalk pastel lesson, and a mixed media lesson. These include:
- The Christmas story (The Gift of Love)
- An Easter story (The Crossmaker)
- Moses (God’s Special Surprise — available soon)
- Paul (Shipwrecked — available soon)
- Jonah (God’s Runaway — available soon)
These are the lessons we received:
- Tools of the Trade. Where we learn about the right art supplies.
- It All Starts With a Line. Knepley teaches the student how to draw a line, which is the most essential skill of drawing. She uses an apple for subject matter. In this lesson Knepley teaches the student to keep his eyes on the subject, concentrating on what he is seeing rather than looking on his paper.
- Contours & Composition. She uses two apples and we learn more about supplies like charcoal.
- Draw What You See. I loved this lesson, I learned a lot here about drawing ONLY what we see, many times when I have drawn a picture I’m trying to add things I don’t see but know they are there. I see NOW why I shouldn’t do that.
- Bonus: Chalk-It-Easy Chalk Art Lesson presented by Gloria Kohlmann. I love chalk art!
You can view the entire list of the 36 weekly art lessons included on these 9 DVDs from this page here.
The program comes with a dvd that gives you a 20 minute review of the different lessons, it gives a great overview of the program.
The entire course can be purchased for $99.99, and there is also an online option, where you can sign up for a free trial and check out the first couple of lessons at no cost. You can also go here to learn more about each individual DVD and request a free DVD.
This may seem expensive but when you think about what you spend on art programs outside of the home for each child, it can get really pricey. This is a wonderful homeschool program where Mom can feel confident that her kids are getting great art lessons and they have beautiful work to show for it!
As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I was given this product to review. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are mine.